Since the changes to BS5534 in 2014, timber roofing batten can no longer be graded on site and have to be factory graded to a strict specification to meet the requirements of this standard. This presentation will explain the importance that roofing battens have within the structural element of buildings, as well as the safety aspect to roofing contractors who rely on them. Although this standard has been in place for five years, building control officers report that they frequently see the wrong types of battens being used and not all battens are what they claim to be, buyer beware!
During this session delegates will learn:
1. Understand the importance of roofing battens
2. Explanation of BS5534:2014 and the main points relating to roofing battens
3. Recognise the different types of batten on the market
4. Will be able to check documentation and markings comply with BS5534
5. Identify common defects associated with poor quality batten